KMS coordinates a Peer Review Service which identifies physicians to conduct peer review for hospitals and institutions who are in need of objective and confidential medical opinions. The service is intended to provide hospitals with an acceptable alternative when the handling of questions of staff privileges becomes difficult due to local considerations, small staff size, or other reasons. If you’d like to have more information, please contact Denise Lantz at the KMS office.
A physician may encounter challenges that impair his/her ability to practice medicine at any time. Whether that impairment is related to drug or alcohol addiction, mental or physical disability, or even the aging process, the Professionals Health Program (PHP) is designed to help physicians travel the road to recovery.
This program is grounded in a fundamental philosophy of confidentiality for its participants and for those who report physicians. Except in a criminal action, any information acquired is confidential and may not be disclosed without written consent.
If you think you might benefit from the Professionals Health Program, or if you know someone who might, contact the PHP Program Director, Carolyn Westgate. All requests for information will be held in strict confidence.
The Kansas Medical Society is recognized by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to accredit CME programs. KMS currently accredits 13 institutions/organizations throughout the state of Kansas. Recognition as an accredited institution enables medical staff the opportunity to receive quality educational programs designed to meet nationally accepted standards. In addition, accredited institutions help physicians fulfill their continuing medical education requirements for medical re-licensure. Any institution/organization interested in becoming accredited should download the following documents (all in PDF format) and then contact Nancy Sullivan for more information.
- Accreditation Information (includes a listing of Accredited Kansas CME Providers)
- Accreditation Manual (Policies, Essentials, Standards)
- Accreditation Requirements & Policies
- KMS CME Pre-Application (new programs)
- KMS CME Initial Accreditation Guide (new programs)
- KMS CME Initial Accreditation Self-Study Report Outline (new programs)
- KMS CME Reaccreditation Guide
- KMS CME Reaccreditation Self-Study Report Outline
- KMS Performance-in-Practice Review Labels
- AMA PRA Labels
- ACCME Compendium of Examples of Compliance and Noncompliance
- ACCME Glossary of Terms and Abbreviations